brewexchange

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
brewexchange

a place for homebrewers to exchange tips, stories, recipies and brews

I forgot my password

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Copper kettle homebrewing

copperkettlehomebrewing

3 posters

Beating the Hose Pipe Ban

PureGuiness
    PureGuiness

Beating the Hose Pipe Ban Empty Beating the Hose Pipe Ban

Post  PureGuiness Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Anglian water have started to enforce the first hose pipe ban in my area for around 20 years. This has caused me a few headaches on brew days. I fill up the HLT using Fermenting bins to carry the water to the brewery.

The only other water that gets used is to run the IC. For this I bought a small pond pump and run pre-cooled water through it. It seems to cool to pitching temperature in a fairly reasonable time (between 45-60 mins).

Beating the Hose Pipe Ban 2012-013
    CyberPaddy66
    CyberPaddy66
    User
    User

Beating the Hose Pipe Ban Empty Re: Beating the Hose Pipe Ban

Post  CyberPaddy66 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 pm

PureGuiness wrote:For this I bought a small pond pump and run pre-cooled water through it. It seems to cool to pitching temperature in a fairly reasonable time (between 45-60 mins).

Seems like a reasonable compromise mate, I was thinking of putting a couple of water butts in the front garden (don't have a back garden) and using a similar garden pump to run water from one of the butts through the Wort Chiller and into the second one... I'n not sure it'll fully cool the Wort but it should do something right?
    PureGuiness
    PureGuiness

Post  PureGuiness Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:53 am

I would have thought it should work ok. I found that the flow rate of the pump wasn't that important as long as the water was moving.

I guess the only thing with water from butts is that it might start off quite warm in the summer.

Are you still brewing then?
    CyberPaddy66
    CyberPaddy66
    User
    User

Post  CyberPaddy66 Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:16 am

PureGuiness wrote:Are you still brewing then?

Technically yes Wink

I've been waiting for my back to be pain free enough to list the brew buckets about and I'm almost there, my shoulder which was suffering from Tendinitis is now a lot less painful thanks to the 2nd Cortisone injection but I still can't lift my right arm up to the horizontal position without a lot of pain and it won't go any higher at all Sad

I've still got the Gob-Hoblin AG kit I bought from the Hop&grape to do and I hope to get that done this summer if nothing else goes wrong :S
    PureGuiness
    PureGuiness

Post  PureGuiness Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:11 pm

CyberPaddy66 wrote:
    PureGuiness wrote:Are you still brewing then?

Technically yes Wink

I've been waiting for my back to be pain free enough to list the brew buckets about and I'm almost there, my shoulder which was suffering from Tendinitis is now a lot less painful thanks to the 2nd Cortisone injection but I still can't lift my right arm up to the horizontal position without a lot of pain and it won't go any higher at all Sad

I've still got the Gob-Hoblin AG kit I bought from the Hop&grape to do and I hope to get that done this summer if nothing else goes wrong :S

How about creating a permanent 3 tier system with some plumbing and a pump to move the water / wort about? That would save on any lifting.
    deanrpwaacs
    User
    User

Post  deanrpwaacs Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Have you tried using a water cube and letting it cool outside over night.I have started to do this as i brew in a bag and the aussies do it this way.It hasnt caused me any problems and i can pitch when i am ready.
    PureGuiness
    PureGuiness

Post  PureGuiness Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 pm

deanrpwaacs wrote:Have you tried using a water cube and letting it cool outside over night.I have started to do this as i brew in a bag and the aussies do it this way.It hasnt caused me any problems and i can pitch when i am ready.

I've read about this and have to admit to being quite interested by the idea. Is this where you take some boiled / cooled water and freeze it and then put it into the wort at the end of the boil?

Do you treat the water to remove the chlorine first? or is this not a problem? I assume you have to compensate of the extra water being added with the target OG after the boil? I'd be interested to know more about the process.

I'd probably stick with my process anyway because it means I can get the yeast pitched and everything put away the same day but it'd be good to know how you do this.
    deanrpwaacs
    User
    User

Post  deanrpwaacs Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 am

Hello again.
    The basics are once you reach flame out you dump the whole lot of hot wort into a water container squeeze most of the air out and give the cube a shake so the hot wort covers all surface areas.Then leave it outside to cool.
    There is a lot of info here http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=50&sid=96283b87b32d2ec9f1bf6cdb4f6e574d
    Hope it helps Dean.
    PureGuiness
    PureGuiness

Post  PureGuiness Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks for the link Dean.

I managed to find this which gave a good description of what the water cube is http://hyperfox.info/no-chill.htm

I'm not overly convinced about this method to be honest. I'm sure it works just fine but the reasons for it include things like the time savings on a brew day. Personally I've always considered a brew day to be just that and so 30 minutes extra on a brew day isn't that much. While the beer is chilling I get on with other stuff like preparing the yeast and sanatising equipment and generally tidying up.

Another reason given was the cost outlay is reduced but to be honest making an IC was the easiest and one of the cheapest bits of equipment.

The argument about additional water required is a good one and although I have now minimised this using a water butt, ice and a pump, the outlay for the pump does push the cost up. Maybe if I was starting out now then this would be the winning argument Very Happy

Some of the issues stated in the article would put me off. DMS production being one but I would think that once you get below around 80oC then this is less of an issue.

I think my main argument against from a personal point of view is that I just want to get it in an FV and the yeast pitched as soon as possible! Laughing

The great thing about this hobby of brewing is the variety though and in most cases one process is not any better than another overall. There is room for all types of process and equipment and most will create great beer.

Although I've decided to go the chill route there will be many that will prefer this method so thanks for posting the information.

The method I was thinking of was dropping a big block of ice into the hot wort and cooling that way. Again this is a method I've heard about but requires some calculations and preparation.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm